North Middleton medieval village (Cheviotside)

  • Description

    "The remains of North Middleton medieval village lie each side of a tributary of Coldgate Water. There are two rows of small plots, with enclosures and platforms representing at least six buildings facing each other across a hollow way. These remains survive as earthworks and stand over one metre high in places. The walls of some buildings are exposed and the stone and clay bonding construction can be seen. The largest building is about 27m long and the smallest 8m. Other features of the village include a well, a possible kiln and areas of ridge and furrow cultivation. Old documents suggest this is the village of North Middleton, although it was originally called Midilest Middleton when first mentioned in 1242....."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://keystothepast.info/search-records/results-of-search/results-of-search-2/site-details/?PRN=N1732
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 302 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES