St John's Church, Hutton Roof

  • Description

    "The church was built in 1880–81. The architects were the Lancaster partnership of Paley and Austin. It replaced an earlier chapel built in 1757. The new church cost £2,500 (£220,000 as of 2014). The foundation stone was laid on 25 June 1880, and the church was consecrated on 9 August 1881. The vicar of the church between 1913 and 1918 was Rev Theodore Bayley Hardy. As chaplain to the British Army, Hardy was the most decorated non-combatant in the First World War, receiving the Victoria Cross, the Distinguished Service Order, and the Military Cross for the assistance he gave to the wounded." Photo by Rude Health , 2014.
  • Owner

    Rude Health
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4128076
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 287 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-08-19
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES