The Lost Village

Related Pages


Bigges Main


Wallsend

  • Description

    "....Bigges Main village was located where Wallsend Golf Course (now renamed Centurion Park) is today. Bigges Main village was founded in the seventeenth century when Thomas Charles Bigg, who lived at Benton, opened a pit there. He leased his coal royalties to Messrs. Bell, Brown and Johnstone in 1785; the lease to last for 40 years. The new owners sank three shafts, built cottages for the miners and successfully ran the enterprise for 41 years. In 1910, Bigges Main with its population of 690 was incorporated into the Borough of Wallsend. In its post-mining era, Bigges Main, about half a mile outside Wallsend was a pretty peaceful village with its own village school, chapel and country inn. The village was accessed by a dirt road half way along the Coast Road from West St to Wills cigarette factory until it's demolition around the mid fifties. The local pub was called The Mason's Arms and..."
  • Owner

    Geocaching
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2C9P6_the-lost-village?guid=4fa9f8c8-6cf3-40f5-af24-4c3221e18927
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 20 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES