Tyne and Wear HER(1128): Bigges Main Wagonway

  • Description

    "Bigges Main Wagonway served Bigges Main C Pit and Bigges Main Colliery (HER refs. 1127 and 1133). It may once have extended beyond its northern end, at NZ 2835 6779 to Billy Pit. It was part of a line which originally went from Bigges Main to Wallsend as part of the original Willington Wagonway, opened in 1785 by Gibson, Bell & Brown. Closed after Bigges Main Colliery flooded in 1857. The Bigges Main line was laid to a gauge of 5' 71/2" and was relaid with cast iron rails mounted on stone sleeper blocks c.1808 when an end on connection was made with the newly laid Kenton and Coxlodge wagonway....."
  • Owner

    Sitelines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/1128
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 18 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES