Tyne and Wear HER(1133): Wallsend, Bigges Main Colliery

  • Description

    "Bigges Main Colliery, served by Bigges Main Wagonway (HER ref. 1128). Opened in 1784 by Messrs Bells & Brown closed shortly after flooding in1857. Around 1782 three pits were sunk around the site and the village of Bigges Main developed, taking its name from that of the pit. "A" Pit was situated at NZ 288 670, "B" Pit at NZ 286 668 and "C" Pit further north..."
  • Owner

    Sitelines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/1133
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 22 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES