St. Michael's Church, Wark

  • Description

    "The Baronry of Wark was confiscated by the crown in 1715 from the Earl of Derwentwater after his part in the Jacobite Rebellion. St Michael’s Church lies to the north of the village and was built when the large parish of Simonburn was divided from Greystead, Humshaugh, Thorneyburn, and Wark parishes in 1818. At this division all the parishes were provided with churches to the design of H H Seward, a pupil of Soane and house architect to Greenwich Hospital. The churches were built, it was said, to provide work for redundant chaplains after the end of the Napoleonic wars and the first rector had been a navy chaplain for 17 years. The churches built by Greenwich Hospital are plain, lancet-style preaching boxes, well proportioned with parsonages. The church was redecorated in 1883-4 and in 1920, and is listed Grade II. Seward also designed the rectory which together with the church, cost the Greenwich Hospital £7470. Wark-on-Tyne: Northumberland Extensive Urban Survey (2009)" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2014.
  • Owner

    Andrew Curtis
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4046106
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 164 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-06-27
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES