CHURCH OF ST LEONARD - Cleator - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish Church. C12 chancel, raised in late C18; rest of church rebuilt 1841. Western baptistry, north porch, and vestry added c1903 (date in spandrels to porch door) by J.H. Martindale (Carlisle). Chancel: sandstone blocks on chamfered plinth with pilaster buttresses and blocking course...Medieval piscina in chancel; Gothic wainscoting possibly C19. Mural stair on south side of nave to polygonal carved stone pulpit. Font possibly C17 with hexagonal bowl on column carried on octagonal plinth. Stained glass by Heaton, Butler & Bayne (London) and Abbott & Co. (London and Lancaster). Nave and choir seating c1906..."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1336033
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 158 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES