MERRYGILL VIADUCT - List Entry

  • Description

    "Railway viaduct. 1861 for the South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway, engineer (Sir) Thomas Bouch, contractors Chambers and Hilton. Rock faced limestone rubble. Nine spans, 110m long and up to 24m high. Cornice, tall parapets. The South Durham and Lancashire Union Railway opened in 1863, by which time it was already a part of the Stockton and Darlington Railway.....It was opened as single track line and was doubled in 1889. It was closed in 1965 when all the large metal viaducts were demolished leaving the four masonry ones...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1387274
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 281 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES