Favourite Pit, West Hartford

  • Description

    "This is the site of an 18th century coal mine known as Favourite Pit. The first major phase of coal extraction at West Hartford took place in the 18th century under the Ridley family. Although collieries were established here from about 1720, purchases of coal from the estate are documented from 1689. Large scale extraction does not seem to have begun until permission for a waggonway across the Delaval Estate to the sea at Blyth was obtained in 1719. The pits were largely worked out by 1812 and ...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N11490
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 months, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 67 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES