Dalston Parish

  • Description

    "Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland, comprising townships of Buckabank, Cumdivock, Dalston, Hawksdale, Ivegill or Highhead, and Raughton & Gaitsgill. CP enlarged by gaining part of Castle Sowerby CP and losing land to Skelton CP 1934....barony of Dalston, almost co-extensive with parish, granted to bishop of Carlisle 1230 and remained in possession of the bishops thereafter, with their seat at Rose Castle in Hawksdale township. Several subsidiary manors within barony: manor of Little Dalston held by Dalston family from 13th century until sold by Sir George Dalston in 1761 to Monkhouse Davison, after whose death it was bought 1795 by John Sowerby...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/dalston
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 months ago
    Viewed: 19 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES