Burgh by Sands Parish

  • Description

    "Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland, including townships of Boustead Hill, Burgh Head, Burgh West End, Longburgh, and Moorhouse and salt marshes of Burgh Marsh.....caput of barony of Burgh, held by Morville family in later 12th century, passing on death of Hugh de Morville (d. 1202) through his daughter Ada to Moultons of Gilsland, and from them by marriage to Dacres in early 14th century. On death of George Lord Dacre in 1569 barony was allotted to his sister Anne, wife of Philip Howard, earl of Arundel, and descended with Howards...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/burgh-sands
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 288 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES