Watermillock Chapelry

  • Description

    "Chapelry and township in Greystoke parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Matterdale CP 1934....part of barony of Greystoke (q.v.), with which it descended. Lyulph’s Tower built 1781 by duke of Norfolk as lakeside villa. Economy: farming; fishing with nets (recorded 1472). Pencil manufacture mid-19th century (recorded in name Pencil Mill Beck). Tourism significant from late 18th century: 19th-century villas on lake shore of Ullswater....."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/watermillock
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 months ago
    Viewed: 18 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES