Hesket in the Forest Parish

  • Description

    "Ancient parish (thought to have been chapelry in Carlisle St Mary parish until 14th century) in Leath ward, Cumberland, embracing townships of High and Low Hesket (which also included village of Armathwaite), Calthwaite, Plumpton Street, Itonfield and Petteril Crooks. CP enlarged by absorbing Plumpton Wall CP 1934....Hesket parish covered core of royal forest of Inglewood which, as defined 1301, comprised tract of lowland between Carlisle and Penrith, lying west of River Eden as far as Thursby, Caldbeck and Blencow. Held by Crown with honour of Penrith from reign of Richard III until 1696, when William III granted forest and honour to William Bentinck, duke of Portland...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/hesket-forest
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 2 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 103 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES