Greystoke Parish

  • Description

    "Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland, embracing 13 townships, of which 9 became separate CPs (for which see separate entries): Berrier & Murrah, Bowscale, Hutton John, Hutton Roof, Hutton Soil, Matterdale, Mungrisdale, Threlkeld and Watermillock. This entry treats Greystoke CP, which covered townships of Greystoke, Little Blencow, Johnby and Motherby & Gill....Greystoke Castle (licence to crenellate 1353) was seat of barony of Greystoke, held by de Greystoke family, descended from Lyulph in early 12th century. Passed to Dacres on marriage c.1488 of Elizabeth, daughter of Robert de Greystoke, to Thomas, Lord Dacre...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/greystoke
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 1 year, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 105 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES