THE KEEP - Newcastle - List Entry

  • Description

    "Castle Keep. 1168-78. Roof and battlements added c.1811 by Newcastle Corporation. Restored c.1848 for Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle. Sandstone with ashlar dressings. Square tower of 3 floors. Principal entrance an external stair on east leading to moulded arch of Great Hall. Ground floor 'garrison room' has central column from which spring 8 ribs. Ground-floor chapel beneath external stair has chevron-moulded ribs and arches. First floor has 'Queen's Chamber' opening from north of main room; 'King's Chamber' opens from south of Great Hall. Spiral stair in south-east corner....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 267 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.