Description"After all the bridges on the Tyne, except for the [] (photographed by Dennis Lovett), were destroyed in the great flood of 1771, a 9-arch stone bridge was built on this site. This bridge was removed by the River Tyne Improvement Commission in the late 1860s, because large vessels were unable to pass beneath its arches, and the Swing Bridge built in its place. The stone abutment (centre) is a relic of the Georgian bridge https://www.portoftyne.co.uk/about-us/history/heritage-sites/heritage-sites ." Photo by Mike Quinn, 2019.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6279922
Resource type: Image
Added by: Pat Thomson
Last modified: 1 year, 6 months ago
Viewed: 89 times
Picture Taken: 2019-09-21