THE NUNNERY - Staffield - List Entry

  • Description

    "Guest house, formerly Benedictine Nunnery. Walls partly of mid C13, with additions and alterations of C16 and early C17 for the Graham family, further C17 alterations for John Aglionby (1694 date stone removed to stable block); early C18 east facade (formerly thought to be 1715 but looks 1740s) for Henry Aglionby, H.A.A. (or H.M.) cipher over entrance. Medieval walls of large blocks of red sandstone rubble with C16 extensions of smaller sandstone rubble; C18 work of red sandstone ashlar, green slate roof, numerous ashlar ridge and end chimney stacks....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1312417
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 287 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES