Strickland's Tower, Rose Castle

  • Description

    "For a wider view of the location, see [[2140455]] . The castle was the residence of successive Bishops of Carlisle from 1230 until 2009, when it became too expensive to maintain. In 2016 the Church Commissioners sold the estate to the Rose Castle Foundation http://www.rosecastle.foundation/ , a charity working towards international reconciliation. This tower is the oldest part of the castle. Although named after Bishop Strickland (in office 1400-1419), it dates from the early 14th century. It is a pele tower, built to withstand attacks by the Scots. Photo taken when the Foundation was hosting an art exhibition - Rose Castle is not normally open to the public." Photo by Rose and Trev Clough, 2017.
  • Owner

    Rose and Trev Clough
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5450634
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 1 month ago
    Viewed: 31 times
    Picture Taken: 2017-06-25
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES