CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL - Appleby - List Entry

  • Description

    "Saxon fragments, C13 south door, C14 south arcade and transept. Much restored by Lady Anne Clifford in 1659. Restored again and north tower added in 1885. Coursed red sandstone rubble with slate roofs. Nave, chancel, south transept, north tower. Decorated window tracery, mostly renewed in the C17. Decorated tower, castellated with corner turrets and crocketted pinnacles. Decorated five bay arcade which may have been reconstructed in 1885...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1137750
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 1 month, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 30 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES