Simonburn Parish Council

  • Description

    "....Simonburn, probably formed by Bishop Walcher of Durham in about 1072, was until 1811, the largest parish in England (260 square miles or 673 square kilometres). It was known as “The Great Parish” until Greenwich Hospital divided it up adding five new parishes; Wark, Bellingham (which was a chapel-of-ease already and had its own ancient church), Thorneyburn, Grey-stead and Falstone..... Simonburn Parish Council was first formed in 1894 by an Act of Parliament, and The Act granted the newly created civil parish councils the specific power to appoint a “Clerk of the Council”. Parish council roles were strengthened under the 1972 Local Government Act and the functions of parish, community and town councils have increased immeasurably since. Simonburn Parish Council has six councillors who are elected for a 4-year term...."
  • Owner

    Simonburn Parish Council
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://simonburn.info/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 203 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES