Tower of League, Brougham Castle

  • Description

    "This great tower was built by Robert Clifford in about 1330 and it had an important defensive role, not just against attackers outside the walls, but also against any enemies who broke in through the gatehouse and hoped to storm the keep. It was referred to in 1723 as the 'Tower of Liege', which might have been its original name. It was also used as a residence." Photo by G Laird, 2017.
  • Owner

    G Laird
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5512105
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Edmund Anon
    Last modified: 4 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 297 times
    Picture Taken: 2017-08-25
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES