Description"Otherwise known as Bamburgh Lighthouse. Notable for being England's furthest north Trinity House light station is located just over a mile north of the village's famous castle. The small compound, which stands on Black Rock Point was built for Trinity House in 1910 and contained a fully automatic white painted skeletal steel tower with enclosed service room and lantern, similar to the lighthouse at Peninnis and a small stone building in which acetylene was produced to power the light. An extensive refit in 1975 saw the removal and scrapping of the original light tower - a simpler black painted lantern was placed on top of the acetylene building, which contains a large fixed fresnel lens (which may or may not be from the original tower) at the same time, the light was converted to electric operation. The light occults once every 15 seconds and shows a white light with red and green sectors, visible for 17, 13 and 13 nautical miles respectively. A local attendant maintains the light, which like all Trinity House lights is monitored from their main depot in Harwich, Essex." Photo by Chris Heaton, 2014.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4203974
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 6 months ago
Viewed: 152 times
Picture Taken: 2014-10-07