CASTLE HEAD - Nr. Lindale - List Entry

  • Description

    "Large house, now field centre. Late C18. For J Wilkinson. Extensively re-modelled and extended in the later C19, with further C20 additions made when used as a school.....the house was built for John Wilkinson (1728-1808) the iron master and is raised above the adjoining mosslands which he drained and improved from 1778 onwards. Despite its late C19 appearance, an early C19 view reproduced by JM Robinson shows that the walls, the roof shape, and the positions of the openings, remain from the original house...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1269676
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 117 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES