Church Square, West Hartlepool

  • Description

    Christ Church, which was built in 1854 to a design by Edward Buckton Lamb, dominates the square. It was paid for by public subscription with significant donations from Ralph Ward Jackson, whose statue is in the foreground. It was West Hartlepool's parish church until 1973 when it was closed. Jackson was the prime mover behind the development of West Hartlepool in the 1850s and 1860s. He was the founder and manager of the Hartlepool West Harbour Dock Company and of the Stockton and Hartlepool Railway Company.
  • Owner

    Robert Cutts
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike License
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21678559@N06/16686283914/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 365 times
    Picture Taken: 2014-05-24T11:47:19
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES