Greatham War Memorial

  • Description

    ".....The memorial stands in the NE corner of the churchyard of the Church of St John the Baptist (Grade II*-listed). It takes the form of a granite Celtic cross with a reversed sword carved in low relief on the front face. The cross stands on a tapering plinth, rectangular on plan. The principal dedicatory inscription on the front face of the plinth reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ “WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM.”/ (13 NAMES). The Second World War dedication to the right face of the plinth reads 1939 – 45/ (13 NAMES)/ WE SHALL REMEMBER THEM...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1437141
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 229 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES