Styford deserted medieval village

  • Description

    "In medieval times Styford was the centre of the barony of Bolbec. A chapel is recorded there in 1262, but there is no information about the size of the population in the 1296 Lay Subsidy. The Poll Tax of 1377 records 22 adults living there but this may also include dependent hamlets. Nevertheless, it is thought possible that there was a sizeable population at Styford which declined from the end of the 13th century after destruction by the Scots and plague. Later documentary evidence in the 17th and 18th centuries shows there were only a few cottages. Any remains of the village had been cleared and the area emparked by 1816 to form the grounds of Styford Hall...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N10068
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 11 months ago
    Viewed: 87 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES