History of Stainton Memorial Hall

  • Description

    "The building, now known as the Memorial Hall, was built in 1844 as a National School run by the Parish Church. The first picture shows how the building looked when it was a school. The picture also shows a village pump in the middle of the road known as Meldyke Square. The main entrance door to the building when it was a school was in the middle of the wall facing Strait Lane where their is now only a tall window. On either side of where the entrance door used to be there are still the iron strips set in the wall at ground level that were used by the children to scrape the mud off their boots before they entered school. The children of Stainton Parish received an education at the school for sixpence (6d) a week. In 1878, the pupils transferred to the new free Board School across on the other side of Meldyke ‘Square’. After 1878, the building continued as a reading room where farmers came to read newspapers....."
  • Owner

    Stainton Memorial Hall
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.staintonmemorialhall.org.uk/page2.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years ago
    Viewed: 274 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES