CHURCH OF ST LUKE - Ousby Townhead - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church. Incorporates medieval walling but extensively rebuilt in late C16 and again in 1858. Early work of rubble or large blocks....Jamb of medieval north door visible to left of 1896 gabled porch which encloses blocked original lancet; another original lancet in south wall opposite. Other windows C19. Ornate pedimented memorial slab fastened to south wall has fine inscriptions dated 1767 and 1791. Internally, combined piscina and 3-seater sedilia in south chancel wall is partly medieval. Early C14 wooden effigy of knight is unpainted but part of one side is missing....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1144922
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 weeks, 6 days ago
    Viewed: 12 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES