Gamblesby

  • Description

    Township in Addingham parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Glassonby CP 1934. ....pastoral farming. Coal and lead mining on Hartside, recorded from 1688. Ironstone mining, quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century. Only Woolhead and Hartside quarries remained open by 1898. Places of worship: Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1784; replaced by new chapel on same site 1864; still in use. Congregational chapel built 1824; replaced by larger chapel 1864; closed 1930s; converted to dwelling by 1955. St John’s Church...."
  • Owner

    Cumbria County History Trust
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumbriacountyhistory.org.uk/township/gamblesby
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 3 weeks, 3 days ago
    Viewed: 15 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES