Description"In the grounds of Lemmington Hall, and taken from a permissive footpath. Designed by John Soane in 1786 for James Evelyn as a memorial to his parents, and originally sited at Felbridge Park in Surrey. It was brought to its current location in 1928 by Sir Stephen Aitchison who had acquired the house and restored it from dereliction. He even built a railway to transport it. Grade II* listed. A close-up of the decoration at the base can be seen here: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2193137 The stones near the column might be connected to a deserted medieval village swept away when the park was created in the C18th. On top of the hill on the right can just be seen the embattled outline of Lemmington Branch, a late-C18th eyecatcher." Photo by Stephen Richards, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2193127
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 213 times
Picture Taken: 2010-08-00