Lemmington Hall

  • Description

    "The oldest part of Lemmington Hall is a medieval tower. It was probably built in the early 15th century by the Beadnell family, but it is not known whether the tower was a self-contained residence or part of a wider group of manorial buildings. The tower has undergone many modification and additions. For example, in the 18th century the upper part of the tower was removed and the building refaced in stone and then incorporated into a country house built for Nicholas Fenwick. However, by about 1900 the hall was a roofless ruin and was rescued by Sir Stephen Aitchison after 1913. It was converted into a convent by 1947 and then an old people's home. This is a Grade II* Listed Building protected by law. http://www.keystothepast.info/Pages/pgDetail.aspx?PRN=N4457" Photo by Les Hull, 2015.
  • Owner

    Les Hull
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4665387
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 324 times
    Picture Taken: 2015-08-19
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES