Description"The pier was built in 1860 by the Ulverston & Lancaster Railway company when their nearby viaduct stopped ships sailing up the estuary to Milnthorpe. The remains of the wooden structure it replaced can still just be seen at low tide in the mud alongside. The pier had to be rebuilt after storms in the late 1930s and 1983. A parade of shops faces the pier on the promenade." Photo by Steve Whalley, 2015.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4768663
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 9 months ago
Viewed: 117 times
Picture Taken: 2015-12-19