Deserted village at Silvington

  • Description

    "The monument includes the remains of Shilvington medieval village, situated on level ground adjacent to Shilvington Burn. The remains of the village include sunken trackways, a number of enclosures, field banks and house platforms all preserved as earthworks. The remains are partly within a field called ‘Chapel Yard’, which suggests that the remains of the village chapel also lie within the area. The first documentary record of Shilvington is in the Lay Subsidy of 1296 and in the mid-14th century it became part of the Ogle barony....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1006505
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 414 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES