Description"....While the other stations on the Darlington - Barnard Castle line opened to the public on the 9th July 1856, the day after the formal opening, Broomielaw opened on the 8th July as a private halt for the Bowes-Lyon family who lived in nearby Streatham Castle. The station had a single platform located located in a cutting on the up side of the line with a covered stairway down from the road above. At one time John Bowes was so proud of Broomielaw Station that he named one of his horses after it in 1862. Broomielaw won the Chester Cup and the Prince of Wales Stakes....Although private the halt was used by children from the local village who caught excursion trains. The station was opened to the public on 9th June 1942...."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: http://disused-stations.org.uk/b/broomielaw/index.shtml
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 2 months ago
Viewed: 128 times
Picture Taken: Unknown