Description"After Armstrong bought the mineral rights in the Ridsdale and the Broomhope valley area he moved the Ridsdale Iron Works plant and machinery to his site at Elswick. Ironstone continued to be extracted and calcinated in kilns at Broomhope and nearby Hindhaugh, and despatched to Elswick via a mile-long branch line which Armstrong had constructed up Broomhope valley. Around half a million tons had been extracted by 1879 when the deposits became worked out or uneconomic. The spoil heaps have never been levelled and remain extensive to this day." Photo by Pete Saunders, 2007.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/568557
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 4 months ago
Viewed: 112 times
Picture Taken: 2007-09-23