CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT - Wilton - Redcar & Cleveland - List Entry

  • Description

    "Church, c.1800 on plinth of C12 and C13 church, incorporating much original masonry including south doorway and some windows. Altered c.1850; restored, re-roofed and vestry and boilerhouse added, 1907/08. Dressed sandstone; brick bell turret except for west face. Plain clay tiled roofs...Bell turret has quoins, rectangular bell openings with louvres, hoodmould to west, cornice and recessed octagonal spire. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and short battered buttress against east wall. South wall has paired and single pointed windows flanking blocked segmental-pointed doorway. Similar window in north wall. Corbel tables at eaves incorporate 6 worn C13 grotesques on south side......"
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1310519
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 months, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 33 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES