DescriptionAlthough Springwell colliery had closed in 1932 the yard remained important as a staging point between the inclines and for it's workshops, it remained in use until 1974 when the final colliery, Kibblesworth, served by the railway closed. The yellow ballast hopper is the nearest of a string of preserved wagons sitting in 'The Dish', the view is towards Springwell Bank Top. The grassed area is the site of Springwell Colliery pit head, the building was part of the colliery until the pit closed in 1932 when it became a wagon repair shop.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Public Domain Dedication (CC0)
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/90214143@N04/33167065964/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years ago
Viewed: 236 times
Picture Taken: 2017-04-06T12:43:39