Tyne and Wear HER(3770): Kibblesworth, Kibblesworth Colliery

  • Description

    "A Colliery was opened in Kibblesworth in 1717 by Cotesworth, James Clavering, Henry Liddell and John Hedworth. The colliery shown on Ordnance Survey first edition however opened in 1842 and closed on 4 October 1974. There were two pits - Glamis and Robert Pits. The owners were John Bowes & Co (Messrs Bowes, Hutt, Wood and Charles M. Palmer), later the Marley Hill Coal Company, then John Bowes & Partners Ltd, and from 1947 the National Coal Board. In 1894 Whellan reported that the daily output of coal was 530 tons, and 280 men and boys worked here. The coals were shipped at Jarrow (via the Bowes Railway). The colliery....."
  • Owner

    Sitelines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/3770
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 months ago
    Viewed: 47 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES