Description"Founded as "Christ's Hospital at Sherburn", the building stands in a secluded valley near Durham. The hamlet in which it is located is known as Sherburn House. It must surely have taken its name from that ancient foundation by Bishop Pudsey, who founded the original buildings for the recuperation of lepers about the year 1181-84. Originally, it housed 65 "poor brethren or lepers" and was reorganised by Bishop Langley in 1429, who reduced the number of residents to just fifteen. The building is now a care home administered by the Sherburn House Charity and its various buildings have a chequered history. For more see http://www.durhamtimes.co.uk/history/pasttimes/4241286.Leper_hospital_was_prominent_site_in_village/ ." Photo by Alan Fearon, 2005.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/76066
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 11 months ago
Viewed: 180 times
Picture Taken: 2005-11-07