Tyne and Wear HER(1882): Whitley Bay, Whitley Hall

  • Description

    "The Hudsons had coal mines in Whitley from the late 17th century. Henry Hudson (1720-89) built this house in about 1760 (adding wings in 1776), replacing his earlier seat. His widow bequeathed it in 1815 to her neice Hannah Ellison....Ultimately the small estate was offered to the Council as a park, but refused, and the Hall, on a site now occupied by the police station in Laburnum Avenue, was demolished in 1899...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/1882
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 174 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES