DescriptionMMP812 Essex Country Coaches Ltd, postcard of Coniston - an early c. 1947 post-war Bedford OB - Duple touring coach, based at 219 Lea Bridge road, Leyton E10, now the site of a petrol filling station, but originally the premises of the Gordon Omnibus Company which was taken over by London Transport in 1933 Later the company, which used the fleetname Galleon Tours in later years, moved to Leyton Road in Stratford E15 later with Darenth Hire, [Charles Montague J. [Monty] Hever. 1896-1970] of Eynsford, Kent and who retired to Herne Bay https://www.flickr.com/photos/134227013@N08/20264858986">www.flickr.com/photos/134227013@N08/20264858986 Looks like an ice cream van in front of the Bedford, reg ATO447ki Essex County Coaches was founded as a bus service from Leyton to High Beach in 1929 by George Frederick Charles Croxon [1884-1970] and a Mr Nottage. Mr Croxon latterly lived at 18 Bergholt Avenue, Ilford. Sir William Bowen [1876-1965] had become a co-director by 1957, he was a former MP, and trade unionist who had also helped found the Union of Post Office Workers UPW in 1929 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Bowen" rel="noreferrer nofollow">en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_William_Bowen Essex County Coaches provided tours for the WTA, Workers' Travel Association, later the Galleon World Travel Assocation, Galleon-WTA, which fleetname was carried from the 1970s above the racy fawn and red and yellow striped livery.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/28179929@N08/45522908024/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 8 months ago
Viewed: 131 times
Picture Taken: 2018-12-09T17:36:37