Description"....The railway passed almost three miles east of Alnwick, the principal market town of mid Northumberland, thereby avoiding higher land, which would have created steeper gradients, and also keeping clear of the grounds of Alnwick Castle, the seat of the Duke of Northumberland. To serve Alnwick, at least on a temporary basis, a station opened at Lesbury, and a horse-bus service was provided to and from Alnwick.....’. Its life was to be short as the branch to Alnwick from ‘Bilton Junction’, a mile south of Lesbury, would open in October 1850. Bilton Junction was renamed Alnmouth, and it is still open....."
LicenseWhat does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
Further informationLink: http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/lesbury/
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Peter Smith
Last modified: 4 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 380 times
Picture Taken: Unknown