CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW AND ST BOISIL - Tweedmouth - List Entry

  • Description

    "....The current building replaces earlier churches on the site dating back to at least the C12 (first reference 1145). The earliest parts of the building date to 1783 when earlier ruins were removed and the tower and nave built, possibly using some earlier fabric. The gallery dates to this period. The north transept was added in 1841, originally containing a gallery for the 'poors' and later the choir. The chancel and vestry were built in 1866-8 to designs by F R Wilson, and the south porch added in 1907-8 at which time the nave and transept were re-roofed....The graveyard contains a number of interesting monuments, the earliest decipherable from 1696...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1041677
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 367 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES