Description"A tower or castle was first recorded at Halton in 1382. The tower is four storeys high and has a basement with a stone vault. In the C15th a manor house was built on the north side of the tower, giving the building a T-shaped plan. A further extension was built in the C17th. A number of carved Roman stones were built into the walls of this building, and much of the stone probably came from the nearby Roman fort at Halton Chesters (Onnum). http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N8653 http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=18213" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2710220
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Viewed: 46 times
Picture Taken: 2011-11-25