Tyne and Wear HER(4982): Elswick, Richardson's Tannery (Elswick Leather Works)

  • Description

    "Richardson's Tannery, also known as Elswick Leather Works was located between Water Street and Dunn Street. Richardson's moved from Whitby to Tyneside in 1766 and opened the Elswick works in 1863. The firm became one of the area's leading concerns and the works continued in use until 1971. It was the last leather works on the north bank of the river."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/4982
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 281 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES