Description"Malcolm's Cross, Alnwick, Northumberland Malcolm's Cross is a commemorative cross standing in a woodland clearing a few yards to the E of the B6341 as it approaches the hilltop N of Alnwick. Carved in grey sandstone in the Gothick style, it comprises an open-centred bracelet cross head with curved foliate ends, standing on a tapering square shaft with festoons and grotesque heads at the top and hollow chamfered corners ornamented with dog-tooth. The cross shaft stands on a carved square pedestal, bedded onto on a stepped stone base and has a considerable amount of historic graffiti, some dated 1799. The pedestal is panelled, with a crowned thistle on the N side and the arms of Scotland bordered by thistles on the S. The E and W sides have inscriptions commemorating the death of Malcolm III of Scotland in the Battle of Alnwick on 13 November 1093 ( though it has been suggested that he actually died by St Leonard's Hospital) and recording the restoration of the cross by Elizabeth Seymour, First Duchess of Northumberland in 1774, as a symbol of the continuing family line, which counted Malcolm as an ancestor. To the W is a square base or socket stone with a fragment of a previous medieval cross fixed into it." Photo by David Clark, 2009.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1533754
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 1 year, 8 months ago
Viewed: 107 times
Picture Taken: 2009-10-13