Tyne and Wear HER(3628): Gateshead, Gateshead to Hexham Road

  • Description

    "In 1663 an Act of Parliament was passed to permit parishes responsible for roads that passed through them to collect money from travellers to be spent on the upkeep of the roads. The roads were called Turnpikes owing to the fact that a pole or pike, resting on a central post was put across the road and swung round when the toll was paid to allow the traffic through. The Gateshead - Hexham Turnpike, constructed in 1776/7, came from Gateshead via the bridge at Swalwell, to the brickworks at Blaydon Burn, from where it ran up Summerhill Bank to Path Head and then onto Ryton...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/3628
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 176 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES