Gateshead - Hexham Turnpike Road


"The Gateshead - Hexham Turnpike, constructed in 1776/7, came from Gateshead via the bridge at Swalwell, to the brickworks at Blaydon Burn, from where it ran up Summerhill Bank to Path Head and then onto Ryton. Typical tolls would be 1/2d for pedestrians, 2s for vehicles drawn by six horses, 9d for vehicles drawn by two horses, and 3d per score for every drove of cows, hogs, goats or sheep. People travelling to church on Sundays were exempt from charges, also when travelling to funerals or visiting the sick. There were nine toll bars on the Gateshead - Hexham Turnpike, including one at Crawcrook. The road left the county at Stanleyburn Bridge..." (Sitelines)

from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(3628): Gateshead, Gateshead to Hexham Road
- "In 1663 an Act of Parliament was passed to permit parishes responsible for roads that passed through them to collect money from travellers to be spent on the upkeep of ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Old Derwent Bridge, Swalwell
  Co-Curate Page
Old Derwent Bridge, Swalwell
- Overview Map Street View The stone bridge over the River Derwent at Swalwell was built in c.1779 for the Gateshead - Hexham Turnpike road.[1] The 3 arched bridge is Grade ...
Old Bridge End Cottage, Swalwell
  Co-Curate Page
Old Bridge End Cottage, Swalwell
- Former toll house for the bridge 
Stanleyburn Bridge
  Co-Curate Page
Stanleyburn Bridge

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES