Plenmeller Colliery was located on Plenmeller Common, to the south-west of the village of Plenmeller, near Haltwhistle in Northumberland. In the 1880s it was recorded as being owned by Plenmeller Coal Co. In 1900 there were 17 miners employed at the colliery, but at it's peak in 1921 there were 714 people employed at the colliery (603 working below ground and 111 on the surface). Penmeller Halt on the Alston railway line was built in 1919 to transport coal from the colliery. The colliery closed on the 26th of May 1932. The former colliery site is now the location of RPC Containers Ltd. In 1991 an open cast coal mine was opened nearby, which was in operation until 2002.