North Walbottle Colliery (1892 - 1968)


The sinking of 'Old Fred Pit' started in 1891, and North Walbottle Colliery was opened in 1892. 'Betty Pit' opened in 1893 and 'Mary Pit' opened in 1894. Coal from the colliery was transported on a wagonway to staithes at Lemington.[1] By 1914 there were 1,483 people employed at the colliery (1,308 working below ground, and 175 on the surface). The colliery closed on the 24th February, 1968.[2]
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
North Walbottle Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
North Wallbottle Colliery

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
North Wallbottle Colliery

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(4235): Walbottle, North Walbottle Colliery
- "The first shaft sunk at the colliery was 'Old Fred Pit' started in 1891, and North Walbottle Colliery opened in 1892. Subsequently, Betty Pit opened in 1893 and Mary Pit ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
023220:J. Severs North Walbottle Unknown c.1920

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
North Wallbottle Colliery

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES